By PaulS | Blog
The Surestop – turning off your water as easily as turning off your lights….
Burst pipes, leaks and easy access for a poorly situated stopcock are all problems that can cause at the least, inconvenience and at worst water damage and a large bill. In fact, in December 2010 there were over 100,000 insurance claims in the UK for burst pipes and water leaks with an average cost of £6700.00.
In most properties, the stopcock is either hidden away at the back of a cupboard or hidden behind furniture and in some cases, the homeowner may not even know where it is. This can be a problem when you want to turn off the mains but a catastrophe if there is a burst pipe or leak with water cascading down the walls.
With Surestop turning off the mains water supply can now be done with a flick of a switch. With a range of British designed and manufactured switches, both on-pipe and remote, that use nothing more than water pressure to isolate the incoming mains water supply (so no batteries or electricity) there is a Surestop to suit every need.
Benefits for the consumer:
- Easy access in the case of an emergency.
- Easy operation, just a simple switch, and no more weeping stopcock spindles and stuck valves.
- Peace of mind when leaving their property (home, caravan, boat, business etc).
- No more struggling to turn off a difficult or stiff stopcock.
- Unaffected by limescale.
- Can be fitted on the pipe itself or remotely on an adjacent wall or surface.
And here are just a few facts which show the potential for damage:
- Every year 1 in 8 homes in the UK is likely to suffer a burst pipe or water leak.*
- 1 in 3 people in the UK do not know where their stopcock is located.**
- Burst pipes and water leaks now cost the UK insurance industry more than claims for burglary or fire***
- Some insurers are raising excess levels for water damage to £250 and more.****
Surestop stopcocks are a low-cost solution to the many problems associated with traditional brass stopcocks and a perfect addition to any job of any size that will benefit both the customer and engineer.
* Research undertaken by Halifax Home Insurance.
** Research undertaken by AA Insurance Services.
*** Industry statistics provided by the Association of British Insurers.
**** Figures provided by The British Insurance Brokers’ Association.